Go down

Standard - Thoughts..

Post  Balloo on Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:09 am

Balloo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Standard - Thoughts..

Post  Squirmy on Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:26 am

I'll post my thoughts. I think I'll be wrong 90% of the time on my Omaha thoughts but you lot can put me back in line if you don't mind.

1. Why raise with this pre flop? In my simple world, the Q in this hand severely reduces it's post flop potential and as such if anything, I'd limp or maybe call a raise and try and get to the flop cheap

2. Why bet the flop and then call a raise? Are you representing aces or something? If you are wouldn't you fold or 4 bet the flop raise? There's already a lot out there that could scupper the vague draw that you have? Maybe C/C, but to get so deep with a straight draw that could be counterfeited by diamonds/a better staright draw/the baord pairing to make a boat etc is dangerous isn't it?

2. I suppose, except for the 3 or 8 of clubs, the Q is the perfect card, so I can understand the C/R but haven't you still got to worry that:-

a) you still only have two pair (and not even top two at that)
b) you're not drawing to the nuts

His bet actually looks to me like someone scared of thh flush draws who isn't folding, thinking he's ahead so I wouldn't really want to get it all-in here as I'm likely behind and I'd probably fold. What are you ahead of that plays the hand the way he has?

The above is probably moronic but I don't care, I'm new to Omaha and about 4,325 levels below everyone else, tell me why I'm an idiot please Very Happy
Squirmy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brit_abroad on Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:44 am

I don't think it is standard, as I dont think it is +ev to end up playing for stacks OOP with a hand like this.

I fold this preflop in the sb unless the bb is very tight. Being OOP is such a penalty, and this is a pretty crappy hand with 3 low cards of a suit and a dangler card. Position is so much more important in PLO (and its important in NLHE) and these kind of hands get you in all sorts of trouble and when you play a big pot with them you are often not in great shape if all the money goes in. I would open this hand on the button though if it were folded to me!

Flop onwards I dont think this is standard at all unless the opponent is a total nut-job. Your only draw to the nuts is a 3 - and any set or bigger wrap or big pair with flush draw has you in trouble, and a ton of turn cards can come which make hard for you to carry on. So after firing the flop I would fold to the raise.

And on the turn I would keep the pot small if I were still there. I think the turn check raise is high variance at best and spewy at worse. At best you are 60-40 against a lot of his likely hands (assuming he is not an over aggro moron) and a lot of his other hands you are not far ahead of. On top of that you have a baby flush draw which is trouble - especially when a club comes on the river and you are out of position with no idea if your hand is good. Your hand has some showdown value now so I would probably check call here - but I try to fold these hands OOP to avoid getting in turn spots like this.

brit_abroad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down