PLO Hand AA

Go down

PLO Hand AA

Post  Balloo on Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:09 am

Ok here is background. Opponent is probably a pro (yes at 50nl!) he multitables, is finnish is pretty tough, if a bit tight.

His 3 betting range is quite wide from button but from this seat I would expect him to havve JJ with suits or better most of the time. Pre flop I think is standard based on I am happy playing this hand multiway.

Flop is interesting, I think his minimum holding is KK with clubs here. I think this is probably a bad fold by me but given I have the naked Ac and he pots it into two
of us on a very drawy board his hand seems strong. Thoughts?

AA Hand
Balloo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: PLO Hand AA

Post  EAST FIFE CASUAL on Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:19 am

Why no 4 bet PF? I'm a huge PLO fish but I imagine this turns ur hand pretty face up and lets them play perfectly on the flop since they have position?

EAST FIFE CASUAL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Balloo on Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:12 am

One thing I have learned from playing a bit this past few days is that PLO is much easier to make correct decisions pre flop and alot of the guys I am playing realise the value and strength of their hands pre flop (yep even at 50plo). It is almost the opposite post flop where people put their money in alot in some really bad spots (stuff like bottom 2 pair on a dry board etc) getting AA all in on some ridic drawy board like 1085 2 tone.

So I have tried as much as possible to avoid building huge pots pre flop ESPECIALLY OOP even with the top of my range and stuck to 3 betting a lot from the button/cut off.

It might be a mistake, but it certainly seems that a similar line is used by alot of the guys at the highest stakes, where you will see them routinely do stuff like limp in from the cut off and rarely if ever 3 bet.

Obviously I am just testing this out, but it seems less exploitable than getting into big pre flop battles.
Balloo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brit_abroad on Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:14 am

EAST FIFE CASUAL wrote:Why no 4 bet PF? I'm a huge PLO fish but I imagine this turns ur hand pretty face up and lets them play perfectly on the flop since they have position?

In PLO 4 betting AAxx OOP is often not a good idea unless you can get more than half your stack in before the flop. Otherwise your hand is face up and when you miss you are facing a committing pot size bet with no idea where you are. Here though, after the original limper cold calls the 3bet IMHO its starting to get close. A 4bet here gets a good chunk of your stack in - and either the limper then folds leaving dead money in the pot, or calls leaving you with a shove on the flop where you are probably >33% equity overall.. unless your opponent has double suited aces.

One concern here is you have nice, but not fantastic aces.

Actually, in early position here I would probably overcall here rather than raise. You are less likely to isolate the limper by raising in this position in PLO, and if you are not happy given stack sizes to 4bet a 3bet from behind you, why raise in the first place? Your hand plays ok multiway, and why bloat the pot when you may be in a sticky situation postflop? I think AAxx has much more value disguised in this spot. Position is even more important in Omaha than in NLHE.

If you put his range at KK + then it looks like a bit of a tight fold esp as you have Ac, especially as your hand looks like AA to him and he may realise that he can push you off exactly this hand with a pot sized bet here. Did you also think that a wrap type hand might be part of his 3bet range? If so that really tilts this to a fold. 6789 with clubs has you in a world of hurt!

brit_abroad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brit_abroad on Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:10 am

I think I put across one point poorly here. I guess what I am saying is that here, I think EITHER overlimping preflop is a good line - calling a raise to see a flop with your aces disguised, or if you are going to raise with people behind you I think you need to be prepared to 4 bet and get it in on the flop. Calling his 3bet leaves you with awkward stack sizes - on the flop you will mostly miss and be left with just a pair of aces, out of position with no idea where you stand and with enough money left that you dont really just want to ship it all in and hope. I think your preflop play puts you in this awkward position.

I played about 30k hands of full ring PLO earlier in the year between 1-2 and 5-10, and I found that I preferred to be NOT raising aces most of the time, unless I was in position or had a good chance of getting it in preflop.

brit_abroad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brit_abroad on Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:12 am

I think I put across one point poorly here. I guess what I am saying is that here, I think EITHER overlimping preflop is a good line - calling a raise to see a flop, or if you are going to raise with people behind you I think you need to be prepared to 4 bet and get it in on the flop. Calling his 3bet leaves you with awkward stack sizes - on the flop you will mostly miss and be left with just a pair of aces, out of position with no idea where you stand and with enough money left that you dont really just want to ship it all in and hope. I think your preflop play puts you in this awkward position.

I played about 30k hands of full ring PLO earlier in the year between 1-2 and 5-10, and I found that I preferred to be NOT raising aces most of the time, unless I was in position or had a good chance of getting it in preflop.

brit_abroad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down